Buces Cutting to Mendlesham Ford. 850 yards
The line drops away steadily from the East to the west running parallel with Buces Lane and its old Farm. Here the line ran for a good few years as a level crossing over the Pye Road, to give the A140 it’s proper name. Eventually in 1903 work began to build the cutting and over-bridge to carry the Pye Road over the line.
When the line closed the cutting was used as a landfill site and the upper bridgeworks removed. At this time it is not known whether there are any structural remains left in situ. The development of the line East to Kenton from this point will only take place after we have completed the line to Haughley, and, only when we have dug out the cutting will we know what was left.
As the line continues east it follows the headwaters of the River Dove which flows North to the Waveney at Billingford. At this point the River Dove is nothing more than a stream for most of the time. However the rivers source is in the shallow basin in the fields ahead and several springs rise in this area. Water can rapidly rise from a depth of a few inches to four or five feet deep.
The line is very slowly starting to climb away from Brockford Road, an ancient route from Stowmarket to Eye and on to Hoxne where it crossed the River Waveney before continuing its northerly route to the Roman town of Caistor. We are now at the location known as Mendlesham Ford. It is here that we hope to locate a station yard, if we are unable to get the Suffolk County Council and Mid-Suffolk District Council’s support to preserve the route of the railway to the original Mendlesham Station site, and develop an alternative route, avoiding Mendlesham, picking up the route near Gipping then on to Haughley.
route 1 google earth view